Friday, August 3, 2007

microsoft clickonce publishing sucks (parts 1 and 2)...


"Microsoft .NET ClickOnce Launch Utility has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience". who is this "we" who is sorry? are they sorry enough to actual do something about it besides apologize? the details say applaunch.exe has a system.io.fileloadexception. this seems to be another example of microsoft putting out sloppy code. my google search shows nobody else reporting this problem. guess I'm just special :p

part 2 of why ClickOnce sucks? Joe Wirtley has already covered this very nicely - I found his post when I ran into the same problems as he did and I suggest you read it: ClickOnce and Bogus Required Assemblies.

5 comments:

Joe Wirtley said...

Thanks for the link to my post. As you can tell by my posts, my expereince with ClickOnce hasn't been entirely smooth sailing. And at this point, I don't even have an application deployed...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

this f****** ClickeOnce utility did ever worked on any pc. I cant even run this. And i have promised my client on the bases of this utility. And we cant find any post that means no one use this worthless utility.

Anonymous said...

This is a bit later, but I too am having issues with clickonce. Even following the documented "instructions" from Microsoft, msbuild deployment of clickonce and visual studio deployments of clickonce are different. Eventhough M$ states msbuild is called in the background. This has been very frustrating and it appears that I get better support for tools from the open source community than trying to figure out M$ quirks. MSBuild is not a prime time build tool, regardless of what is published or documented.

Bendz said...

Hi,

No idea :( Nice post about micro soft product ;)
If you've got time, visit my business insurance blog.
Cool blog and Keep it up.
;)

About Me

My photo
smug SoCal catalyst prone to puffery. practitioner of verbal aikido. pearl caster for swine. professional. intuitive. clean. approachable. unique. forgiven sinner. ubiquitous. reads. geekiness rating ~10%. Meyers-Briggs = iNTj. musical thinker. into nature. project manager for a decent place which gives plenty of time, money and chances to prove his talent. dabbler, a dilettante, jack of all trades, master of none. lives in a nice place with a great wife and kids. his boys and attitude keeps him young. hangs out a lot, never bored. listens to XM. doesn't do favorites. tries to play the blues on acoustic guitar. loves the beach. draws. chillz' an groovz'. smokes a pipe. lefty.